Reparations Happy Hour!

A nonprofit in Portland, Oregon is doing their best to offer reparations to people of color by hosting a Reparations Happy Hour sponsored mainly by White donors.

Reparations Happy Hour.jpg

Each minority attendee gets $10 from white Portland donors!

Reparations Happy Hour2.jpg

The first meetup took place on Monday (May 21), with hosts giving $10 to every one of the 40 people of color who attended. Brown Hope, the nonprofit, says the happy hour will be a monthly event that serves to create a “space for Black, Brown, and Indigenous people.” Outside of food and drinks, there is also a 45-minute dialogue about policies that affect the local community.

FYI: This event is for white people, too. (But don't show up physically!)

The first happy hour on Monday evening drew 40 black, brown and indigenous locals to the bar Backyard Social, where organizers gave out a corresponding $400, according to Cameron Whitten, the 27-year-old who hosted the event through the nonprofit Brown Hope.

Cameron Whitten.jpg

“If folks say they want diversity in this community, they need to invest in it,” Whitten said. “These spaces are critical, and these spaces need to be paid for by white people.”

Learn more about Reparations Happy Hour: Brown Hope FIRST Monthly Reparations Happy Hour

The People's Cube™ reports; you decide!

Since penguins are the perfect example of black-white intersectionality, do I just show up and demand drinks from the bar for free or do I have to pay myself $10? How about Rachel Dolezal?

Sponging is empowerment!

Freedom is slavery!

And so on by the book...

Imperatorskiy Pingvin wrote:Since penguins are the perfect example of black-white intersectionality, do I just show up and demand drinks from the bar for free or do I have to pay myself $10? How about Rachel Dolezal?
How about Barack Obama who is 1/2 black/white like Pingvin? Does he have to pay $5.00 instead of $10.00? Or donate $10.00 and then order a free drink worth $5.00 or less?

[img]/images/Obama_Free_Beer.jpg[/img]

What about us Asians? Too bad I can't find out, as I, living in NYC, live nowhere near Portland, and can't get there either...

So I live in Portland. But I am still wondering why. I was born here, back around the time of the Cuban missile crisis, Communism around every corner, and the endless threat of Nuclear Annihilation any day now courtesy of the Kremlin. Gosh but I do miss the good old days when the enemy and the threats were real. And we bought our own drinks too, you know?

NEWS NEWS NEWS!

The organisers of this happy Progfest will also give 10 dollars to all visitors who are citizens of countries that fought bloody civil wars to end slavery.

And there is more.... An additional $10 will be handed out to those people!

This is a courtesy of the Spanish Government (the cultural heir of the Spanish Empire), the Union of African States (because the ancestors of the people living in these countries sold their neighbours as slaves) and a group of wealthy Middle-Eastern Islamic countries (because they transported the slaves and sometimes still own slaves).

But it gets even better! If you show up as a Russian citizen you will be given $30, because in Russia almost all non-noble citizens living in the countryside were serfs up until late in the 19th century.

The Norwegian government chips in too. 50 dollars are yours if you can prove that your ancestors were shipped off to the Islamic world or Constantinople by Viking raiders.

And last but not least: if you self identify as a black Russian whose ancestors were enslaved by Vikings or Spanish conquistadores, then you get a jackpot multiplier: 2000 dollars and you will be sent back to Russia, Venezuela or Liberia (either which one you choose) to make amends!

Regards, Minitrue

JohnR wrote:So I live in Portland. But I am still wondering why. I was born here, back around the time of the Cuban missile crisis, Communism around every corner, and the endless threat of Nuclear Annihilation any day now courtesy of the Kremlin. Gosh but I do miss the good old days when the enemiel and the threats were real. And we bought our own drinks too, you know?

Comrade JohnR,

Welcome to The Brave New World of Next Tuesdaytm and The People's Cube. I must agree - I too, miss the good ol' days <sigh> when a rodent was a rodent and women folk clambered up on chairs to avoid us, their skirts held high and all aflutter,.. aye,..

CC

If this catches on, signs will blossom all over Paris that say "Vivé lé Bosche!" and the Germans will be invited to...naaaah. nevermind.

The People's Anthony Sullivan wrote: What about us Asians? ...
Two words: Nagasaki, Hiroshima. Assign blame, start a hashtag thingy, appoint a designated driver....

Captain Craptek wrote:I too, miss the good ol' days <sigh> when a rodent was a rodent and women folk clambered up on chairs to avoid us, their skirts held high and all aflutter,.. aye,..
Now all they wear are pant suits with so little room in the legs you can't climb up them.

Comrade Putout always leaves a little room in her pants for her furry squirrel buddy...

Ivan the Stakhanovets wrote:
The People's Anthony Sullivan wrote: What about us Asians? ...
Two words: Nagasaki, Hiroshima. Assign blame, start a hashtag thingy, appoint a designated driver....

Good komrade, what wisdom you speak!!!! I haven't played "righteously" show that I am the victim enough in this life, just so that I can get everything I want no matter what my rightful reparations for the White man's wrongdoing. I need to start playing the victim show off how much the White man has wrongfully wronged me with absolutely nothing everything much, much more often!!!!

Indigenous people were also invited to partake in the festivities...

Elizabeth Warren.jpg

If they'll throw in a hooker I'll get as tan as a man of Northern European heritage can get and swing by to empathize.

I have ancestors that may have been affected by the highland clearances and exorbitant taxation. What do Harry and Meghan owe me?