Racism expands North! Avoid the "e" word!

[img]/images/Eskimo_NPR_Rasist.png[/img]

Why You Probably Shouldn't Say 'Eskimo'

Update your lists, another group is offended!

White males may no longer use the "e" word when referring to our newest victim class, the self-identified seal-clubbing tribal-persons of Arctic circumpolar first-peoples descent.

Eating fish or owning a dog is now racist, stereotypical and demeaning, and don't get caught allowing your kids to culturally appropriate snow ("You want snow? there are gulags for snow...").

Until properly renamed, all "Eskimo Pie" will be removed from grocery shelves, and persons of any gender caught exchanging "Eskimo kisses" will be prosecuted to the fullest extent that hate-crime legislation (or Commisarka Pinkie) will allow.

Annual decoration using the likeness of "reindeer" is micro-aggression, while possession of an Igloo Cooler at any time is a civil rights violation henceforth.

A committee will be formed to establish the proper "awareness ribbon" color, and protest chant...

It's on NPR, It has to be party-approved current truth!

Thomas Lifson who runs the American Thinker may as well be writing for the People's Cube:

NPR informs us of the latest forbidden word

What would we do without NPR to monitor our use of language? There are so many groups that can be offended, we need a federally-funded organization to keep us up to date on what words we've used our entire life, with no malice whatsoever, to discard. Rebecca Hersher explains:

Confused about the word Eskimo?

It's a commonly used term referring to the native peoples of Alaska and other Arctic regions, including Siberia, Canada and Greenland. It comes from a Central Algonquian language called Ojibwe, which people still speak around the Great Lakes region on both sides of the U.S.-Canadian border. But the word has a controversial history. (Editor's note: And that's why it's not used in the stories on Greenland that NPR has posted this week.)

Hmm, origin with Native Americans (or, as they say north of the border, “First Canadians”). Doesn't that make it holy? But wait!

People in many parts of the Arctic consider Eskimo a derogatory term because it was widely used by racist, non-native colonizers. Many people also thought it meant eater of raw meat, which connoted barbarism and violence. Although the word's exact etymology is unclear, mid-century anthropologists suggested that the word came from the Latin word excommunicati, meaning the excommunicated ones, because the native people of the Canadian Arctic were not Christian.

But now there's a new theory. According to the Alaska Native Language Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, linguists believe the word Eskimo actually came from the French word esquimaux, meaning one who nets snowshoes. Netting snowshoes is the highly-precise way that Arctic peoples built winter footwear by tightly weaving, or netting, sinew from caribou or other animals across a wooden frame.

So the fact that white people (“colonizers,” unlike the native peoples who also moved in and conquered territory from other groups) used a word makes it bad. And some linguist theorizes that it may come from French! That is certainly enough to make it derogatory.

Except, where does that leave the Central Algonquin people who formerly got credit (because you can't blame nonwhite people for anything) for the word.

Wait, isn't there some cultural appropriation going on here? But who is appropriating whom? Were the French appropriating the Central Algonquin people? I don't know, but if they did, I am sure it is bad.

On the other hand, what if the Central Algonquin people, who probably met the French explorers colonists first, approipriated the French word? Would that be bad? After all, native Americans/First Canadians are allowed to use pharmaceuticals, televisions and pickup trucks, so obviously they cannot be accused of cultural appropriation of anything. So, would that make the word Eskimo OK?

My head hurts. I am so confused. NPR, please explain it better so I can be a good person….

mi
But, but, but... In the USSR -- the glorious country of victorious proletariat unfairly destroyed by conniving Capitalist running dogs -- "Eskimo" was the best ice-cream...

In a sincere bout of self-criticism - that drill of progressive purification of a Comrade's mind, brought to us by courtesy of the Great Bolshevik Revolution, lead by the Most Historic Kollektiv of Marx - Engels - Lenin - Stalin ( and Trotsky, prior to the ice pick ) - I, unwitting offender of the Victimized Proletariat Of Mother Earth, hereby express my neverending apologies for the brutal, mindless attack on the Heroic Folk of Inuit who care deeply about their & our melting environment, which said outrageously insensitive attack I blindly committed on Apr. 20, 2016 here.

Exceptional, one-time-only transmission @Comrade Director : Komsomoltsy Koloromat & Sumasshyedchik reported progressively recovering !

Genosse Dummkopf wrote:... my neverending apologies ...
just incoming , from our Friendly Folk of Chukchi :

SU.warming-icing.wedding.Chukche.Eskimo.jpg

Chukcha : Apology Absolutely Accepted ! celeb(ep!)rating !

lil' me : wow, 3A rating ! Warm thanks go out to our sympatico Folk of Chukchi, the top humorists on the Asian continent ― generatorwise, so to say.

Ivan the Stakhanovets wrote:... Eskimo ... another group offended ...
Hop, Our Dear World Leader, immediately ordered a redemptory ceremony for His beloved folk of intuit from the environmentally significant great plains. He also mentioned the redskin intuit tribe of Maldives, settled since centuries in the Malvinas :

US.Obama.dumbo.idiotic.Indian.Injun.Medicine Joe.2.jpg

Most amazing : The Titan from Pennsylvania Avenue 1600 conducted the whole ceremony in unprecedentedly fluent Austrian - an extra New Chapter in The Annals of History.

( happily & culturally appropriating the work of Komissar al-Blogunov, for just yet another subversively & disappropriatively victimizing ethno-smear : )

The Peoples Cube.2014.07.21.(Indian.Islam).How Islam Built The Very Fabric of America.(w=600).jpg
but.. but.. but.. but wait - weren't the Great Plains Maldives-Inuit supposed of having founded a Plainly Great nation - in the Malvinas - under God, full of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness, and all that beautifully written down in the form of their Constitution, aptly drafted by the 7 Chiefs of the People, hotly twittert by the People, and crowned with a turkey bacchanal for the People - right here, in the center of the Malvinas ?

and who is that all-Mustacha jerk ? no Inuit ever grew a beard, not even a tiny hitlerite Bürstenschnauzer !

Fire Water Cultural appropriation gone bad.At roughly the 2:00 mark the question is asked: Is President Obama gonna be OK with this?

Red Square wrote:But now there's a new theory. According to the Alaska Native Language Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, linguists believe the word Eskimo actually came from the French word [highlight=#ffff00]esquimaux[/highlight]
PROG-OFF

By golly, what for that much linguo-science ? By a quirk of fate, I knew that factoid already a few decades ago. I swear by Marx-Lenin ― what follows is raw real-life facts, not a bit of joke.

Summer, student vacation, a handful BFFs on hike in mountains. Meet a shepperd plus herd. Elder man, in his 70s. Hot day, time for break, and shepperd hapy to have company. So we sit down, eat, and talk - the usual, pretty sympatico talk with the philosophícally inclined & witty highlanders. Where do we live, is the question, and how does it look like there. Question by question, answer by answer, laughing here, laughing there, turns out ― the shepperd, in his youth, was for several years in the French army ( just yet another quirk of fate ).

And so, our Q/A session takes kinda ethno/anthropo turn. There are ― example ― blacks, they were with the French, in the army, too - he said. This and that, laughin', eatin', talkin'. Then our ex-French-soldier makes a mysteriously serious face, and says : There are also Epimaksi. Live far, far away, in snow. Hah ? One of us : ah, you mean Eskimosi ? and he : no, no, Epimaksi. The French told him so, they saw them. Epimaksi, Eskimosi, Epimaksi ― who knows ? Eating finished, break over, handshakes, backslapping. And he goes after his sheep, and we go our way. Funny guy, full of stories, and his Epimaksi ( sure as hell, his mind blurred sumptin', over the decades ; but details he named were intriguing ).

Years later, a blitz upon me - by Jove, he was right ! Of course ! He knew the french-written esquimau/esquimaux, adapted it into his mother tongue ― by appending -ksi ― and then his memory, over time, turned the esqui- into epi- , and that's it.

So, UAF : you just had to send me, say, 10% of your esquimaux-research funds ― I would've sent it up there, to St. Petrus, with a note reading "For Epimaks-Man" ― and then I would tell you the shepperds disclosure : ' Eskimo ' derived from esquimaux, via epimaks. End of story, finis opus coronat.

PROG-ON

You guys are SOOOO behind the times.

When I was 7 my cousin moved in to our house with his ALEUTIAN wife and their two kids. She would give you the evil eye if you ever said the E word. That was in 1970.

After that, I was pretty sure Inuit was the "People Formerly Known As Eskimo."

"Ojibwa" was formerly anglicized as Chippewa, btw. So if you think you haven't heard of Ojibwa, you're probablly wrong.

teepee.jpg
Here's an interesting question: What are the Native Siberians called?

They have to be pretty close in genetic material to the pre-Columbus people in Alaska, I would think.

Kelly Ivanovna/келя ивановна wrote:... Here's an interesting question: What are the Native Siberians called?

oh-oh-oh-oh-oh.

< SibyerSpeak-ON >

__Sibyeria big chunk is !

__say Borat : Kazakhstan greatest country in world !

__heh ?

__say atlas : Sibyeria = 5 * Kazakhstan is !

< SibyerSpeak-OFF >

ok, not 5 - just ca. 4,8 _( by area )

and how is Siberia to Amiland, by area ? ... __?? .... ___??? .....
yep, correct : Siberia = 1,3 * Amiland __( total Amiland area, mind you ).

so, now :
How to answer this : What are the Native Americans called ?
( best, you go with that Q to all the Navajo, Sioux, Creek, Pueblo, ... ( ok, you got the joke ) ).
the WikiPedia-quality list is here. __( looks like a damn helluva tribes, right ? )

of course, same with Siberia and its Natives.
but outstanding - for many funny reasons - are the Chukchi.
the WikiPedia-quality list for Siberia is here.

The lady in your pic - me not an expert, yet seems to be a Chukcha.

P.S. me dummkopf.
You certainly meant the generic term - that is, "Indians".
Likewise, the generic for the Natives of Siberia is "Sibirtsy", that is : simply "Siberians".

here a sympatico Chukchi Family, of A. D. 1917. __( and how many Chukchi can you see ? J )

US.AK.Inupiat.Eskimo Family.ethno.kids.2kids!.1917.Chukchi.Tschuktschi.jpg

But, of course, the above scene is INFURIATING !

A “family”, phyhh. As if this autarkic, strong She wasn't able to live the Heroic Life of a Single Mom ! Keeping Her sweet little kids away from patriarchic hegemony and penile domination ! As if She was too dumb to find the local DMV plus TANF and Food Stamp Offices !

Disgusting, to see that “masculine” creature, spreading imperially in front of Her, all while condemning “his” “wifey” to toil with thread and needle ! Isn't Her real destiny Leading the Glorious Inter-Inuit Fight against the Deadly Forces of Global Warming ? Keeping our Environment Tidy and in Balance ? This Dolores Ibarruri of Siberia, this Daughter Of The Pristine Arctic, couldn't She ride a Tractor, plowing across Kamchatka in order to prepare it for seedtime ?

But no, the Oppresive Heteronomy, driven by pre-Poststructural sultanic phantasies of the Vagina-less chauvinist dictates : Kids, Kitchen, Kirk.