Oregon Bill to Charge Miles on Bicyclists

Bicycle_Odometer.jpg
SALEM, OR - Oregon State is not getting enough revenue from cars these days, with almost everyone switching to bicycle transportation in order to avoid taxes on motor vehicles. As a result, road maintenance expense is on the rise and falling tax revenues make it tough to keep up.

This is about to change with Bill 1870, which calls for bicyclists to pay into the road care. For every mile they ride on their bikes, they will soon be charged five dollars and a ha'penny. This requires residents to put state-issued odometers on their bicycles; neglecting to do so will deal a fine for every bike in the household.

The odometers will be equipped with electronic transmitters, sending mileage information to the Oregon Transportation Department, which will calculate the per-mile tax. Penalties will be given to those who tamper with government products.

The neighboring states of California and Washington are closely monitoring this initiative, eager to follow the trend due to comparable problems with gas tax revenues, as well as the need to finance the continuation of such projects as Bertha and the Californian high-speed train system.

What an excellent idea! And why not also tax footsteps?

Thruppence a furlong and no more, I say! Or a tanner per league, if paid by subscription!

RedDiaperette wrote:What an excellent idea! And why not also tax footsteps?

Don't give them any ideas.... I can see the Taxman demanding to see your mandatory pedometer while singing the Beatles' song:

If you drive a car ride a bike, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Konservative_Punk wrote:
RedDiaperette wrote:What an excellent idea! And why not also tax footsteps?

Don't give them any ideas.... I can see the Taxman demanding to see your mandatory pedometer while singing the Beatles' song:

If you drive a car ride a bike, I'll tax the street,
They start with run,
just for fun.
It may cost a ton,
and we pay until we all have none.

Konservative_Punk wrote: If you drive a car ride a bike, I'll tax the street,

What a good idea for a T-shirt. "Liberals 19, Taxpayers 1."

And you know, liberals would buy them -- thinking it to be some kind of compliment.

Comrades, the popularization of this article is just a nugget effect.