Medea heckles Obama with a tragic monologue by Euripides

[img]/images/Medea_heckles_Obama_600.jpg[/img]

President Barack Obama's counterterrorism speech was derailed several times yesterday when a mother-turned-activist named Medea shouted bitter words about his leadership.

This drama couldn't have come at a better time for Obama, as it created the much needed appearance of moral pressure to push his agenda of unilateral disarmament even further.

Medea's dazzling performance was captured very clearly on tape and immediately retransmitted on many networks, which caused some drama critics to suspect the entire theatrics might have been scripted at the White House and, possibly, even lip-synched.

At the very least,
the sound engineers had been given prior instructions that at 4:35 into the President's scripted remarks, they would have to capture a cameo appearance by Medea, making sure her voice wouldn't be lost among other noises in the large auditorium.

In addition, the People's Cube correspondent, AbecedariusRex, noticed that Medea's words sounded strangely familiar - as if they had already been spoken a thousand times on different stages over the course of many years. A brief research confirmed his suspicion: the highly publicized oration had been lifted off in its entirety from Medea's address to Jason, written by Euripides in 431 B.C. (Medea, Episode II, Stanzas 465-515)

UPDATE: See our new Obama/Medea mashup video

Below is the transcript of the exchange between POTUS and Medea

~
Medea_heckles_Obama_600.jpg
May 23, 2013

{begin transcript}

MEDEA: You ... you, utterly vile ...

POTUS: Ma'am, please sit down.

MEDEA: This is the worst charge I have
to say against your total lack of manliness.

POTUS: Ma'am…

MEDEA: You have come to me, you who are most hateful
[to the gods and to me and to the whole human race]?
This is not daring; this is not courage,
to abuse your loved ones and look them in the face…

POTUS: Ma'am if you would just…

MEDEA: This is the most virulent of all human sicknesses,
shamelessness. Still you have done me a favor in coming.
I will lighten my grief by reviling you
and you will feel the sting in hearing it.
I will begin at the beginning.

POTUS: Just sit down ma'am.

MEDEA: I saved your skin, as all the Greeks know …

POTUS: Ma'am…

MEDEA: Who boarded the Argo with you,
when you were sent to master the fire-breathing bulls
with yokes and to sow the deadly field;
and the dragon which guarded the golden fleece
and, never sleeping, protected it with its many coils,
I killed it and held up the light of safety for you.
As for me, after betraying my father and my home
I came to Iolcus near Pelion
with you, eager but not prudent.

POTUS: I'm going to address that.

MEDEA: Then I killed Pelias, in the way that he would die most tragically…

POTUS: Would you let me finish my sentence?

MEDEA: …at the hands of his own children and I confounded their entire house.
And you, after receiving this from me, you, the vilest man alive…

POTUS: Would you just… just… would you…

MEDEA: You have betrayed me, and you have made a new marriage,
though you already have children. If you were still childless
you could be excused for craving another marriage bed.
Gone is the faith of oaths. I cannot understand
whether you believe the old gods are no longer in power
or that new covenants are established for men today,
since you must know that you have not kept your oath to me.
Feu [Ah] right hand, how fervently you were taken
and these knees, how futilely I was clung to in supplication
by an evil man. But I have lost my hopes.
Listen. I will share with you as if you were a friend.
And what will I get out of it?
Still ... under questioning you will appear more shameless.
Now where will I turn? To my father's house
which I betrayed for you along with my native land, when I came here?
Or to the unhappy daughters of Pelias? They would be delighted
to take me in. I murdered their father.
This is how it is. I have made myself an enemy
to my loved ones at home, the very ones I should not have
hurt; in helping you I have enemies.
And for this you have made me an icon
of Greek womanhood: I have in you a wonderful
husband and faithful to me — oh, the pity of it
if I must go into exile, cast out of this country
without friends, a lonely mother with two lonely children,
a fine reproach to the new bridegroom
that your children are homeless beggars, and the woman who saved your life.
Oh Zeus! Why have you given us a clear test
of gold to tell which is counterfeit
but of men — where to identify an evil one would be useful —
there is no such mark on his body?

POTUS: This woman's words need to be addressed. Though I don't agree with all that she says and though she, uh, doesn't seem interested in listening to what I have to say, nevertheless, uh, these ideas are… uh, seem… important.

Jeepers, she's heroic! I wonder why she didn't say anything when Obama attacked Libya without congressional authorization? She must've been "chilled" by the IRS. Now she can finally speak truth to power again!

Raum Emmanual Goldstein
Indeed.... Medea is EXTREMELY valient to take such a stand considering with whom Obama has "made a new marriage"...Image

This is brilliant. Any chance of extra vodka rations for the correspondent?

The President had a wonderful opportunity to "practice" his new off teleprompter skills. How heart warming. After all, why go to all the trouble of getting that woman there and waste the moment. Or has the administration totally forgotten who this woman is and let her in by mistake.

If only someone would stand up to heckle him about the IRS or Benghazi. I'd love to see how he deals with that.

ThePeoplesComrade wrote:The President had a wonderful opportunity to "practice" his new off teleprompter skills. How heart warming.
HalfBlackWhite.JPG
I wonder if his new ear bud is half black or half white?

I believe the ear thing remains all red, but evolves to black and/or white depending upon the light that is shining on it at the time. As It Should Be ... by the way. And, we need to update the coif on the FHOTUSSA to reflect the modern, in-style Moe-hair look....
[center][attachment=0]Moehair-with-shovel-.gif[/attachment][/center]

Meadea sounds more like antagonized spousal unit than friendly protester. I am thinking there is some 'there there'? (and I am thinking we will be seeing Comrade Meadea in the gulag sooner rather than later....)

I wonder if Meadea has a daughter named 'Julia?'

Captain Craptek wrote:
Parallel Universe?

fields-its-a-gift-wifes-shock.jpg
Then she burned his young fiancee and her father, the king, slaughtered her own two children and rode away in a dragon taxi cab.

Red Square wrote:It's now in the Washington Times Communities:

SCRN_TWT_Medea.jpg
The Plot Thickens.

mi
For a country, the only alternative to detaining such folks in Guantanamo-like places is to start killing them. Our glorious leader, peace be upon him, has been doing just that with the accused terrorists found in the field. He even ordered Osama bin Laden killed, rather than captured — to avoid increasing the number of inconvenient prisoners.

But there is no way to release the already captured and inherited from the previous Administration. Bushitler's plans to create special tribunals to sort the guilty from the wrongfully accused went down in flames...

Since Code Pink and the rest of medeas of the world are so accepting of the ongoing killings of the would-be detainees, perhaps, they will also accept a quick execution of the present ones in the camp? That would allow the closure of the shameful institution NOW! wouldn't it?

mi
Margaret wrote:Jeepers, she's heroic! I wonder why she didn't say anything when Obama attacked Libya without congressional authorization?

That's not entirely fair. She did.

Well, lookie here - Medea Tweeted our parody (the Washington Times version).

Does she understand what she reads - or does she simply like everything that has her name attached to it?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Funny parody from Washington Times re Medea and the Prez <a href="https://t.co/CBSt3ajD0f" title="https://communities.washingtontimes.com ... </p>&mdash; Medea Benjamin (@medeabenjamin) <a href=" 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And a screenshot, just in case...

Medea_Benjamin_Tweet.png

I like that you used the image of Maria Callas, the famous opera singer, who did Medea as her first film, and was a very effective drama queen.

The difference is, Callas was genuine.

Pamalinsky wrote:I like that you used the image of Maria Callas, the famous opera singer, who did Medea as her first film, and was a very effective drama queen.

The difference is, Callas was genuine.
It would have been a much better heckle if it were set to music. (any takers on that video construction?)

I tried searching for Medea's monologue on YouTube to make a mashup earlier, but all I could find was amateur performances with bad sound recording an unintelligible speech. But perhaps an opera version would work better. Unfortunately, all Cherubini's versions of Medea on YouTube are in Italian, with static pictures accompanying the music.

However, I have found this great Handel's piece with a very suitable singer playing Medea, only it's not based on Euripides. I'll see if I can do something with it.

Speaking of Medea liking the parody in the Washington Times, can we say she's a "Medea whore"?

Comrade Square - if we don't, somebody else will! I say we go for it :)

Wow, Comrade Red Square,

Just listened to your choice video. It's perfect! I agree the singer is quite suitable, as well as the production values displayed. This would include makeup, costumes, stage direction, the whole bit! This video is a parody in itself.

However, putting Medea Benjamin in her place is a daunting task. Given the production values in the video, it might be just fine to simply stitch MB's head, in a most awkward fashion right onto this singers'. It would be OK to have it look awkward.

Also listened to Maria Callas' Medea while researching this. Holy crap! This woman could create visuals just by using her voice. If she were to just sit there, with her hands in her lap and sing, you would see everything!

She never did that, though.

Kelly Ivanovna/келя ивановна wrote:Who on earth names their child, "Medea"?
My understanding is, she gave herself this name.

Good. Another would be crime I don't have to report to Protective Services.

As promised, I made the Obama/Medea mashup video and posted it here -

Obama vs. Medea: Opera Mashup Video

Red Square wrote:[img]/images/Medea_heckles_Obama_600.jpg[/img]

President Barack Obama's counterterrorism speech was derailed several times yesterday when a mother-turned-activist named Medea shouted bitter words about his leadership.

This drama couldn't have come at a better time for Obama, as it created the much needed appearance of moral pressure to push his agenda of unilateral disarmament even further.

Medea's dazzling performance was captured very clearly on tape and immediately retransmitted on many networks, which caused some drama critics to suspect the entire theatrics might have been scripted at the White House and, possibly, even lip-synched.

At the very least,
the sound engineers had been given prior instructions that at 4:35 into the President's scripted remarks, they would have to capture a cameo appearance by Medea, making sure her voice wouldn't be lost among other noises in the large auditorium.

In addition, the People's Cube correspondent, AbecedariusRex, noticed that Medea's words sounded strangely familiar - as if they had already been spoken a thousand times on different stages over the course of many years. A brief research confirmed his suspicion: the highly publicized oration had been lifted off in its entirety from Medea's address to Jason, written by Euripides in 431 B.C. (Medea, Episode II, Stanzas 465-515)

UPDATE: See our new Obama/Medea mashup video

Below is the transcript of the exchange between POTUS and Medea

~
Medea_heckles_Obama_600.jpg
May 23, 2013

MEDEA: You have betrayed me, and you have made a new marriage,
though you already have children. If you were still childless
you could be excused for craving another marriage bed.
Gone is the faith of oaths. I cannot understand
whether you believe the old gods are no longer in power
or that new covenants are established for men today,
since you must know that you have not kept your oath to me.
Feu [Ah] right hand, how fervently you were taken
and these knees, how futilely I was clung to in supplication
by an evil man. But I have lost my hopes.
Listen. I will share with you as if you were a friend.
And what will I get out of it?
Still ... under questioning you will appear more shameless.
Now where will I turn? To my father's house
which I betrayed for you along with my native land, when I came here?
Or to the unhappy daughters of Pelias? They would be delighted
to take me in. I murdered their father.
This is how it is. I have made myself an enemy
to my loved ones at home, the very ones I should not have
hurt; in helping you I have enemies.
And for this you have made me an icon
of Greek womanhood: I have in you a wonderful
husband and faithful to me — oh, the pity of it
if I must go into exile, cast out of this country
without friends, a lonely mother with two lonely children,
a fine reproach to the new bridegroom
that your children are homeless beggars, and the woman who saved your life.
Oh Zeus! Why have you given us a clear test
of gold to tell which is counterfeit
but of men — where to identify an evil one would be useful —
there is no such mark on his body?

POTUS: This woman's words need to be addressed. Though I don't agree with all that she says and though she, uh, doesn't seem interested in listening to what I have to say, nevertheless, uh, these ideas are… uh, seem… important.
This is the best most wonderful expression of how I feel and, indeed, how many, if not most of do.You really do rock, Comrade Red Square! Really! Stunning! What an amazing post! Thank you!