Frederica Wilson and the hat factory disaster

Frederica Wilson & the great Brooklyn hat factory explosion:

As a lover and collector of women's flamboyant hats, Congressperson Frederica Wilson was enraged by a story she read recently. It seems a boiler exploded at the Ames & Moulton's Hat Factory in 1860 killing and maiming numerous workers and destroying the factory.

Bad enough you say? But Representative Wilson discovered something even more alarming buried deep in the body of the story. At the time of the explosion there were 120 men and only 100 "girls" employed at the factory! "GIRLS"? And only 100?

"Why were these women called "girls" in 1860?" shouted Ms. Wilson. "Someone will pay for this 19th century chauvinist language."

Frederica Wilson paced back and forth mumbling inaudibly then stopped, exclaiming, "We all know that sweat shops back then only used little black kids and females to do the dirty work, so what's this about 120 men working beside the women? This story is fascist right wing bull crap!"
To correct this injustice, Ms. Wilson is seeking congressional support for a Hat Workers of America Memorial and Scholarship Fund to benefit the descendants of those long forgotten laborers whose bits and pieces still haunt the intersection of Nostrand and Myrtle Avenues.

Why Progressives Love Frederica Wilson

1) Representative Wilson likes President Obama.

2) She is a member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

3) At a Miami town hall meeting in 2011, she told citizens to remember that the Tea Party is the real enemy and that they hold Congress hostage.

4) She opposes senseless murders.

5) MSNBC's “The Grio,” an African-American news and opinion platform, named Wilson a “The Grio 100” for 2012.

6) A Miami Herald reporter nicknamed her "The Haze Buster" for her public stance against hazing.

7) She has asked former House Speaker John Boehner to waive the rule prohibiting the wearing of hats on the floor of the House of Representatives, a rule in place since 1837.

8) Though Wilson's personal and congressional achievements are acknowledged by friends and enemies alike, she first attracted national attention by declaring George Zimmerman a racist during a 2012 CNN interview. In that interview the tearful Wilson vowed to appoint a committee tasked with studying the possibility of raising funds needed to design and erect a 47.5 ft. bronze (with gold trim) statue of Trayvon Martin - the murdered infant of Wilson's lifelong friend, Sybrina Fulton. When completed the Martin statue will replace the ancient, seated sculpture of Abraham Lincoln in the Lincoln memorial.

Sadly, the American Clown Rodeo Association has withdrawn their support for Empty Barrel Democrat Congresswoman Wilson.

That explains it - Rep. Wilson is wearing those hats exclusively to honor the women and minorities killed in the unfortunate hat factory explosion.

The hats she's wearing were picked all over Brooklyn, and some had flown as far as Queens. But she draws the line at the Bronx. She calls the hats brought to her from other boroughs "fakes" because they couldn't have flown that far.

Fred_Wilson_Hats.jpg

By Comrade Antonio Salazarinski, from the Halloween thread:

Captain Craptek wrote: Why Progs Love Frederica Wilson

9. First African-American Canadian Mountie Congresswoman.

rcmp.jpg

She must be the Commissar of Party Hats.

Good job, Meow! I just made this for Tweeting and FB-ing.

And the Commissar of Party Hats will be there, too!

[img]/images/various_uploads/Frederica_Wilson_Canadian_Mountie.jpg[/img]

Another racist Seussical the Musical Book about The Cat Who Shat in HisHer Hat.

I told you not to wear that t-shirt, Genosse!

Food for thought:

NY Times, Aug. 1, 2017: Representative Frederica S. Wilson won the uncontested U.S. House of Representatives 24th District race in Florida.

That's North Miami. From Rep. Wilson's official page:

2010 U.S. Census quick facts about the 24th District of Florida:

• Total population: 725,282
  • Minority-majority district, with a 55% Black and 31% Hispanic population.
  • There are 75,302 seniors in FL-24 and 22% of our constituents collect Social Security benefits.
  • 20,386 veterans live in our district.
  • 43,150 government employees call the 24th District home.

Comrades,

Remember New York's US Rep. & "hat lady" of the 70's, Bella Abzug?-

bella-abzug.jpg

Two thoughts:

1. I can't seem to find a picture of the Kongresskomrade wearing a hat that isn't of European ancestry. Isn't she therefore guilty of Cultural Appropriation™?
  2. If all the 'employees' killed in the explosion were black children, how could they have had any descendents for the memorial and scholarship fund to benefit?

Imperatorskiy Pingvin wrote:Two thoughts:

1. I can't seem to find a picture of the Kongresskomrade wearing a hat that isn't of European ancestry. Isn't she therefore guilty of Cultural Appropriation™?
  2. If all the 'employees' killed in the explosion were black children, how could they have had any descendents for the memorial and scholarship fund to benefit?

1) No, because she's black and a female.

2) No, because she's black and a female.

Captain Craptek wrote:No, because she's black and a female.

Interesting, Komrade Kapitan. Your superior logic brings to mind a famous Gedankenerfahrung which I just contrived:

If I identify as a black woman and the factory in which I employ hundreds of white children explodes, hopefully tragically killing them all, can I then establish a slush memorial fund to compensate myself for being the victimized purchaser of a faulty boiler?

Imperatorskiy Pingvin wrote:
Captain Craptek wrote:No, because she's black and a female.

Interesting, Komrade Kapitan. Your superior logic brings to mind a famous Gedankenerfahrung which I just contrived:

If I identify as a black woman and the factory in which I employ hundreds of white children explodes, hopefully tragically killing them all, can I then establish a slush memorial fund to compensate myself for being the victimized purchaser of a [highlight=#ffff00]faulty boiler?[/highlight]

Almost korrekt. Though the boiler was faulty, the white kids probably made it explode because you're black. Therefore, you kollekt damages from the boiler explosion AND reparations from whitey! Bingo!