Barack Obama's Legacy

empty chair.jpg

The oldest known story in human history is the story of King Gilgamesh. King Gilgamesh was a very bad king. He thought that being king meant he could lord it over the city which he governed. He abused the people to serve his own ends. The people prayed to the gods that Gilgamesh might become a good king. And the Gods answered their prayers. In a roundabout sort of way.

Through a series of events the young brash Gilgamesh became so concerned with his own mortality and desire to live forever that he left the city in search of the secret of immortality. Meanwhile, the people of his city still needed a good king to do the things the king was supposed to do to maintain law and justice and protect them from invasion by outside forces. But King Gilgamesh was absorbed with himself and with how he could live on forever.

At journey's end, on an island in the middle of the sea of the dead, he finally found that immortality was not something he could force. He discovered that the only thing close to immortality was to give the people of his city the protections that a king is to provide. Not use society, the city, to make his name. But simply protect so that the city becomes a great thriving place on its own so that people can live and live well.

He found that his own immortality would ever only be in protecting his city so that his people could be free. And that greatness would only come from maintaining his people's freedoms, not from forcing people to see him as great.

Barack Obama's search for immortality through legacy defined his administration. Now it all slips away like a child's sand castle. There was no there there.

Because real government is in society itself and that is immortal so long as the human race survives - and the state, the institution we created to protect us so that we have our governance of ourselves, is but the walls of a city built to protect us.

The State is but the container we made so that we can have our Government. The State is but like a glass that holds the wine. It is not THE government. To lose sight of that is to think that the glass is the important thing.

Barack Obama will never understand. But isn't it something? The epic poem of Gilgamesh and its lesson was well understood by the ancients and told to the delight of audiences who fathomed it without explanation, perhaps better than we moderns. We are so steeped in the statist thought of our day that we lose sight of what government is - and what it is not. And who is deserving of honor and legacy - and who is not.

There is no such thing as forcing a legacy on society.

Sing it, Brother!

[img]/images/various_uploads/Trump_Gilgamesh_Obama_Lion.jpg[/img]

Revisiting the Empty Chairs thread is mandatory!

[img]/images/Chair_Obama_War_on_Chairs.jpg[/img]

[img]/images/Chairs_Obama_Jobs_Council.jpg[/img]

Ivan the Stakhanovets wrote:Image
"I did NOT have sex with that woman..."

Shouldn't that be "I didn't have sex with that man..." ? just saying. I heard she was part of the East German Women's Swim team back in '76... Hillary wrote about her in her memoirs on how Bill slipped out "keep that beyotch away from me, she is bigger than me!" It took awhile for Hillary to understand.

67a26e.jpg

And so it is written that the former President Barock Hussein Obama; aka Mr. Hope and Change; the First Community Organizer; the messiah of “if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor”; the Prophet of Post-Racial America; The Great Father; the Angel of Peace; the Elder of the Tribe; The Prophet; The Redeemer; The Wise One; The Halfrican; the Lord of the Flies; the Great Divider and FREE Cell Phone Provider; the ghost and conscience of all those folks that stayed home and didn't vote; and, The One who had sojourned into the south Pacific for nearly a month before he came back to give us more Truth. O hail and all praise to the spiritual leader of millions, Obi-Wan-Nairobi.

Kremlin Guard wrote:
67a26e.jpg

And so it is written that the former President Barock Hussein Obama; aka Mr. Hope and Change; the First Community Organizer; the messiah of “if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor”; the Prophet of Post-Racial America; The Great Father; the Angel of Peace; the Elder of the Tribe; The Prophet; The Redeemer; The Wise One; The H-alfrican; the Lord of the Flies; the Great Divider and FREE Cell Phone Provider; the ghost and conscience of all those folks that stayed home and didn't vote; and, The One who had sojourned into the south Pacific for nearly a month before he came back to give us more Truth. O hail and all praise to the spiritual leader of millions, Obi-Wan-Nairobi.
Such genius! Kipling? Robert Frost? Longfellow? Thoreau?

Comrade Svyet wrote:"keep that beyotch away from me, she is bigger than me!"

Uh, yeah, no kidding. I heard that she can take a fire extinguisher...