Every Man has a Right to the Left (and other neo-proverbs)

Megaphone_Neoproverbs.jpg

Our answer to Iowahawk (also posted on Big Hollywood)

Iowahawk hit progressive speechwriters right on the head with his last week's collection of proverbs, enlightening Americans about the truths of various Third World tribes, whose collective experiences are infinitely more liberating and inspiring than those of the so-called Dead White European Males (DWEM) - the useless inventors of an offensive culture with dull, dysfunctional proverbs.

Yet we must offer a correction given the recent progress made in our culture, which allowed the Western civilization to catch up with the more advanced tribes of the multicultural community.

Obsessive revisionism and self-loathing, sacrificing the individual to the collective, consolidation of power in the hands of a strong central government, and the cult of a godlike leader have rightfully made us an equal member among the wonderfully diverse Third World countries. Miracles abound. One of them is the spontaneous supplanting of the misleading ex-proverbs of the shameful past, with correct neo-proverbs that properly reflect the current truth in accordance with the regularly updated political context.

If a culture is to be measured by the quality of its proverbs, then, paremiologically speaking, we should soon be able to judge a book by its cover, make the most noise, burn the bridges, part with our money, and by the year 2012 become the pride and joy of the whole wide Third World!

These are a few collectively gathered neo-proverbs from our permanently revised collection.
No matter how much you cheat the government in taxes, you'll never get close to being even. Trust me.
(Tim Geithner, Treasury Secretary's proverb)

Good intentions make the most noise.
(Proverb of Obama's Economic Recovery Team)

All good things are either illegal, immoral, or lead to obesity.
(Kennedy family proverb)

Surely you can fool all the people all the time.
(Proverb of the mainstream media)

To err is human, and we use this faculty frequently and with much pleasure.
(Proverb of the US Congress)

All work and no pay makes Jack an exemplary citizen.

If toast falling off the table always lands butter-side down, it is safe to presume that toast buttered on both sides will stop and hover in midair.

All that glitters must be taxed.
(Proverb of the Ways and Means Committee)

Every time the government tries to organize the economy, the only thing that stays organized is crime.
(Proverb of the Chicago Mafia)

The people are not only our most precious recourse, but also a means of enrichment.

Too many cooks don't pay enough taxes.

Every man has a right to the left.
(ACLU proverb)

Every rake deserves a chance to be stepped on repeatedly.

For a lie to become believable it must be published in The New York Times.
(Proverb of Democrat strategists)

Teach someone how to fish, and you lose a Democrat voter.
(Proverb of the Teachers' Union)

You will be driving your old car for a longer period of time if you don't buy a new one.

No matter how much whiskey you stock up in your desk, you always wind up sending an aide for more.
(Ted Kennedy's proverb)

Attractive women are distractive.
(Bill Clinton's proverb)

Man can stare infinitely and without motion at three things: burning flame, flowing water, and another man working.
(Proverb of the Department of Labor)

No matter how hard you negotiate your labor contract, there will always be an asshole who works even less and gets paid even more.
(Proverb of unionized workforce)

Child-proof electrical outlets are there to make sure that only the most gifted children get electrocuted to death.
(Proverb of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA))

Safety violations may result not only in a person's death, but also in a person's birth.
(Proverb of Planned Parenthood organization)

If a man wants to have a life, medicine is powerless.
(Kennedy family proverb)

If your wife isn't talking to you in the morning, last night's party must have been a success!
(Clinton family proverb)

Why is it that when you converse with God, it's called prayer, but when God converses with you, it's called schizophrenia?
(Rev. Jeremiah Wright's proverb)

A woman wants a lot of different things from one and the same man, while a man wants one and the same thing from a lot of different women.
(Clinton family proverb)

Having a tough day? Try changing your gender.
(Janet Reno's proverb)

Never spend your own money when you can spend the government's. Charity begins with a lawsuit.
(Proverb of community organizers)

Let bygones be hammered into everyone's brain using news media, television, and Hollywood.

Government helps those who refuse to help themselves.

If necessity is the mother of invention, government mandate is the fairy godmother.
(Proverb of carbon emission regulators)

A bad workman blames corporate greed and lack of government oversight.
(Proverb of the Financial Services Committee)

All that glitters must be equally redistributed to each according to his need.

Having naughty children in the back seat can result in an accident; having a naughty accident in the back seat can result in children, followed by a story in The National Enquirer.
(John Edwards' proverb)

Never pick on a Democrat candidate's family; attack something he cares about instead.
(Proverb of Republican strategists)

If you can't lick them, tax them.

He who pays the piper must also cover his health insurance and retirement benefits.

The most beautiful thing about the environment is that you can turn it into an election issue.

Be careful what you legislate; it may do exactly what Rush Limbaugh said it would.
(Proverb of Rush Limbaugh's listeners)

Never argue with a loaded Kennedy.
(Proverb of Republican strategists)

If wishes were horses there's be no need in fossil fuels
(Proverb of oil executives)

Give your opponents one hundred dollars worth of steak, and you shall receive one trillion dollars worth of pork.

The difference between a kleptomaniac and a Congressman is mostly one of semantics.

Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax that fellow who didn't vote for you and me.
(Found buried in a federal "stimulus" bill)

All it takes to prove that I am the smartest guy in any room is for the rest of the people in that room to believe me when I say it.
(Joe Biden's proverb)

Multiculturalism is when people of all races, colors, and creeds join hands in a common effort to blame the Jews.
(Proverb of Columbia University professors)

======================================================
Special thanks to Opiate of the People for contributions and to DDR Kamerad for vigilance.

You can lead Teddy Kennedy to water,but you can't make him drink it.... without atleast a generous splash of whiskey.

Lincoln had it wrong: It is people by the government, of the government, for the government.

"The Fairness Doctrine" teaches that equality exists only when non-Liberal concerns are ignored.

Free Speech and Cheap Speech are not the same thing. (Hmmm, that one might be subject to the Thought Police)

No man can exalt himself without Government Intervention.

He who spareth not the rod maketh his son the spoils of the State.

Peace is the absence of opposition to Hamas
(Proverb of Pinheads For Peace)

A Jew has the option to continue or end a war-either by turning the other cheek or fighting back. Therefore, Jews are the cause of wars.
(Proverb of Nazis For Palestine)

I believe that children are our future; as long as we can keep thinking up big spending programs with "children" in the title, we'll have a future in Congress.
- Unknown liberal congressman

Be aware that the beautiful ocean beachgoers love to swim in is also a toilet to the sharks who live in it; the same applies to a visit to the Capitol Building.
- Congressional Legal Defense Fund

Honesty makes a mess of policy.
- The Prophet Rahm

"Every month that we do not have an economic recovery package five-hundred million Americans lose their jobs."

"Every month that we do not have a universal healthcare package five-hundred million American children die."

"Every month that we do not have a Global Warming package five-hundred million Americans turn blue and flop around like fish out of water."

To sum it up with a neo-proverb:

"An empty drum makes the most noise."

~ Nancy (The Empty Drum) Pelosi School of Fearmongering 101

Margaret wrote:"Every month that we do not have an economic recovery package five-hundred million Americans lose their jobs."

"Every month that we do not have a universal healthcare package five-hundred million American children die."

"Every month that we do not have a Global Warming package five-hundred million Americans turn blue and flop around like fish out of water."

To sum it up with a neo-proverb:

"An empty drum makes the most noise."

~ Nancy (The Empty Drum) Pelosi School of Fearmongering 101

Every month we do not have an economic recovery package five hundred million babies are not aborted with US Government money.

"Progressivism" is just another word for "nothing left to confiscate".
- Joplin Missouri Proverb

Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half did not vote Obama for President. Undoubtedly, the same half.
- Gory Vidal's Book of UnWisdom

Our opponents' money is the root of all their evil.
- The Pelosi Bedtime Reader

Oil not drilled is Power instilled.
(Democrat Congress.
You have earned your money and we want it,
(Same Congress)
A tax cut by any other name is a fee increase.
(Yeah, still the same Congress)

"We never lie to our constituents, what we say are merely terminological inexactitudes"
--The Dimocrats

Stealing someone else's ideas is a bad idea unless it serves a great idea and then its a good idea.
- Shepard Fairey and the Obama campaign

"All other things being equal, the most convoluted, tangled, and distracting explanation is the best." ~ Gibb's Razor

"The total momentum in a closed or isolated system remains constant. Unless it encounters a Rethuglikkkan." ~ Congress' Conservation of Momentum

"The change in a system's internal energy is equal to the difference between heat added to the system from its surroundings and work done by the system on its surroundings." ~ Senatorial Motivational Principal (1st Law of Thermodynamics)

"Given sufficient exposure, even the most brilliant mind will succumb to the ambient environment's mean average intelligence" ~ Begay's Law

"The amount of bumper stickers displayed on an individual's vehicle is directly proportionate to that individual's level of Liberalism." ~ Jamieson's 1st law of Liberalism

"Every month five hundred million Americans die, a newly born butterfly beats its wings in the returning forest created by that depopulation."
--EarthFirst!, Detroit branch

"With a little up-front PR, the Esate Tax can be granted to those still living."
--Paul Krugman, PhD^3

"Sarah Palin? Why in tarnation wasn't she my intern?"
--Bill Clinton

"The Hope of Sarah Palin gets the blood running to my head, when Hillary ain't around back in Hope, Arkansas."
--Bill Clinton

"For her transgressions of surname semantics, Sarah Palin cannot nor never shall be President of the Sun People."
--Toni Morrison and bell hooks

"Quick! Look over there!"
--Numerous Minnesota ballot counters

Innostranyi Otdel wrote:"Given sufficient exposure, even the most brilliant mind will succumb to the ambient environment's mean average intelligence" ~ Begay's Law

"The amount of bumper stickers displayed on an individual's vehicle is directly proportionate to that individual's level of Liberalism." ~ Jamieson's 1st law of Liberalism

These in particular are Truth!

It reminds me of repeated attempts on a windy and hilly two-line US highway to pass a beater covered in such bumper stickers, most notably a "Visualize World Peace." When I finally got my chance and gunned my four cylinders, the female driver gave my so much gesturing and cursing that it was audible at 65mph, windows down. I gave her (and World Peace) the finger and sped on.

Comrade_Tovarich wrote: I gave her (and World Peace) the finger and sped on.

I thought the finger WAS the symbol of world peace. My bad.

"All of your bucks stop here"
--Treasury Dept.

"If we don't fully fund ACORN, 500 million voters a month will be disenfranchised from their vote,"
--Nancy Pelosi

"Give me liberty, or tax me to death"
--Internal Revenue Service

Repeating the same behaviors while expecting different results is called Stimulus.
(111th Congress of the United States)

Train a child up in the ways of Liberalism and he will blame the Rethuglikkkans for being poor when he grows up.
(Bringing Up Children - Nancy Pelosi).

He who hesitates (to think clearly) is a Rethuglikkkan.
(Pelosi-Reid - The Big Book of Liberal Government)

The road to recovery is paved with pork.
(Democrats of the 111th Congress of the United States)

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
(Rod Blagojevich)

When all the laughter dies in sorrow, and the tears have risen to a flood, then we will have accomplished our goal.
(Subtitle of the the stimulus package)

Don't drop the soap!
(Barack (Who's Insane?) Obama)

One man one hundred votes.
(ACORN)

When you've rationalized away everything that is possible, what ever is left, no matter how improbable, can be blamed on the Jews.
(Jesse Jackson)

From each according to his ability; except for me.
(Tom Daschle, Charles Rangel and Timothy Geithner)

I'm like a kid in a candy store!
(Nancy Pelosi after reading the Stimulus Package)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/LkCNJRfSZBU&h ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tax cuts as stimulus has failed before. Please ignore the almost 30 years of unprecidented growth beginning under the Evil dictator Ronald Reagan.

-His O'liness (WaPo OP Ed)

People who are resistant to CHANCE cannot resist CHANGE for the worst.

-The Obamessiah

Innostranyi Otdel wrote:The amount of bumper stickers displayed on an individual's vehicle is directly proportionate to that individual's level of Liberalism." ~ Jamieson's 1st law of Liberalism
Tovarich wrote:It reminds me of repeated attempts on a windy and hilly two-line US highway to pass a beater covered in such bumper stickers, most notably a "Visualize World Peace." When I finally got my chance and gunned my four cylinders, the female driver gave my so much gesturing and cursing that it was audible at 65mph, windows down. I gave her (and World Peace) the finger and sped on.
Not always the beaters. Just about the time of the People's Democratic Convention in Denver I was taking my new car out for a week's road trip. Coming back from Grand Junction over the switchbacks into Albuquerque, NM, I was driving my 2009 Acura RL. It's got 4WD and lots of power and as a good commissar I am aggressive. Pickups and SUVs and other panzers tried to keep me from passing, tailgated me, and shot me fingers. All to no avail--on a corner that car puts lots of power on the outside rear wheel and they've figured out (I think) variable-ratio steering.

Although it's entirely possible that the fug of Progressive Thought in Denver had suppurated out in an oily cloud throughout the state of Colorado to the point that even the jackrabbits were resentful--as all Progressives ought to be.

AbecedariusRex wrote:

No, Comrade, your good, for you have opened mine eyes!

What do I see at every peace protest? The finger.
What do I see at every anti-Israel protest? The finger.
What do I see at every anti-business protest? The finger.
What do I see when taking pictures of Western youth? The finger.
What did I see between undergrad brothers after bouts of intoxicant-laden camaraderie? The finger.

Commissar Theocritus wrote:Pickups and SUVs and other panzers tried to keep me from passing, tailgated me, and shot me fingers. All to no avail--on a corner that car puts lots of power on the outside rear wheel and they've figured out (I think) variable-ratio steering.

Although it's entirely possible that the fug of Progressive Thought in Denver had suppurated out in an oily cloud throughout the state of Colorado to the point that even the jackrabbits were resentful--as all Progressives ought to be.

Comrade Commissar Theocritus,

This reminds me of a story of long ago in the Gilded Age of Clinton. A comrade was following another to home in rural KY for a weekend. While driving along some state or county road, from behind came two callow youths in a truck. As they passed the leading car, the passenger drew a pistol and shot out a tire and their truck continued on. The two comrades stopped. Car 1 hadn't seen or heard the shot, assuming a natural blow-out; car 2, however, related the events. Car 1 swore then explained he was simply screwed: The truck belonged to the son of the local judge or mayor and therefore the case was closed. Car 1 summed it up as: "Welcome to X County, Kentucky."

Eventually a state or county cop came by. The events of the shooting were related, description of the truck given, and the cop closed up his notebook with an explanation in line with Car 1's: I can file the paperwork, but it won't go anywhere, guaranteed.

So I suggest you import your next vehicle from, say, Japan or the UK so that, when passing, you'll be right next to the slowpoke and thus better able to create/sustain numerous jobs by shooting out a tire: tire seller or repairman, AAA dude or tow truck driver, cop, insurance staff. Moreover, are such shooting not justified in the name of Gaia? EarthFirst!

Tovarich, this is the first Honda product I've had made entirely in Japan and I'm not sure it's not worse made than the ones made in AmeriKKKa.

While this event you described went on, did you hear the sounds of a banjo?

Were the people advised to squeal like a pig?

Comrade_Tovarich wrote:
AbecedariusRex wrote:

No, Comrade, your good, for you have opened mine eyes!

What do I see at every peace protest? The finger.
What do I see at every anti-Israel protest? The finger.
What do I see at every anti-business protest? The finger.
What do I see when taking pictures of Western youth? The finger.
What did I see between undergrad brothers after bouts of intoxicant-laden camaraderie? The finger.

Egad, Comrade! You're correct! I can't believe that I didn't see it until now. Is this in the collective mind yet?

Free speech is only speech that hasn't been taxed yet.

Right of the government to keep and bear arms against it's own people shall not be infringed...or else!

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." ~ Robert Frost

"A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment." ~ Willis Player

"The modern definition of 'racist' is someone who is winning an argument with a liberal." ~ Peter Brimelow

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." ~ G. Gordon Liddy

Of all the varieties of virtues, Liberalism is the most beloved.
-Aristotle-

It only takes 20 years for a Liberal to become a Conservative; without changing a single thing.
-Robert Anton Wilson-

A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.
-Robert Frost-

I am not a member of any organized party....I'm a Democrat!
-Will Rogers-

And my personal favorite:

Any man who is under 30, and is not a Liberal, has not heart, and any man who is over 30, and is not a Conservative, has no brains!
-Winston Churchill-

Commissar Theocritus wrote:While this event you described went on, did you hear the sounds of a banjo?

Were the people advised to squeal like a pig?

Theo, I was not there, but were there resonant strummings of a dulcimer audible during the wait, that might have been possible.

The two people were left to accept that, unlike up in Erlanger, KY, where they'd been (for the Big Event), things are different in other parts of Kentucky.

Don't get me wrong: I'm down with KY! Been there plenty of times, even to Berea College, which I think still has an Alger Hiss Chair in some department.

Che Gourmet wrote:And my personal favorite:

Any man who is under 30, and is not a Liberal, has not heart, and any man who is over 30, and is not a Conservative, has no brains!
-Winston Churchill-

Yes, is good, very good.

"None of you truly believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself.”
ImamObama

"O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors; they are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust. (The Noble Quran, 5:51)"

My brother ImamObama (PBUH). Any good, peace loving, Muslim will know the horrible fate of the filthy kafir. This wish is obligatory among my brothers. Glory be to Allah for he is most compassionate, most awesome. The power and wealth brother Obama now holds will be equaled to the Ummah by jizya. Verily this is my brothers wish.

Sheik, by all means come over to the Rancho. I have some very nice table cloths from Williams Sonoma to put on your head, and they're lined with tin foil

Commissar

Have you not heard......

Clinton reaching out to Muslims with Indonesia visit

https://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090205/p ... fR5XZvaA8F

Madam secretary feels it's important that we need to reach out and reach out early to Indonesia. Why is Indonesia suddenly so important?
The tin foil serves to conceal my brothers plans.

Speaking of aphorisms, I always liked this one:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Accordingly, modern liberals are the people who have no wisdom and don't know the difference, as they aren't even aware of the fact that the difference exists. Hence the Change(TM) rhetoric. And Hope(TM) to come with it. They need all the Hope(TM) they can get. And we need all the serenity we can get for the next four years.

Red, consider the cognitive dissonance. Progressives celebrate diversity in all its mulifaceted splendiferousness. But down inside we're all just alike--warm and cozy and huggable, just needing a little love so we can all meet and cast sheep's eyes at each other over chablis and brie. Or goat's milk and brie.

And if someone wants to kill us it's because we didn't understand hard enough. If they say they want to kill us and then try it's our fault for making them want to kill us.

I'm so guilty.

Wonderful, comrades. I believe there are a few more that need to be said, da?

"A bird in the hand is the property of the state."
-Leninist Proverb

"Two men enter, one man leaves."
-ACLU definition of due process with regards to conservatives

"When in doubt, lie, lie, lie."
-NY Times official directive

OOC:
"...He had been droning along about "value," comparing the Marxist theory with the orthodox "use" theory. Mr. Dubois had said, "Of course, the Marxian definition of value is rediculous. All of the work one cares to add will not turn a mud pie into an apple tart; it remains a mud pie, value zero. By corollary, unskillful work can easily subtract value; an untalented cook can turn wholesome dough and fresh green apples, valuable already, into an inedible mess, value zero. Conversely, a great chef can fashion of those same materials a confection of greater value than a commonplace apple tart, with no more effort than an ordinary cook uses to prepare an ordinary sweet.

"These kitchen illustrations demolish the Marxian theory of value - the fallacy from which the entire magnificent fraud of communism derives - and illustrate the truth of the common-sense definition as measured in terms of use."

Dubois had waved his stump at us. "Nevertheless - wake up back there! - nevertheless, the disheveled old mystic of <i>Das Kapital</i>, turgid, tortured, confused, and neurotic, unscientific, illogical, this pompus fraud Karl Marx, <i>nevertheless</i> had a glimmering of a very important truth. If he had possessed an analytical mind, he might have formulated the first adequate definition of value... And this planet might have been saved endless grief.

"Or might not."
-Excerpt, <i>Starship Troopers</i>, Robert Heinlein.

Have you read <a href=". O'Rourke's book on Adam Smith?</a> He explains, at least to me, a good definition of value.

Commissar Theocritus wrote:

Well THAT explains the horrid stenchHope(tm) and Change(tm) that filter over The Palmer Divide when the North Winds blow. It is Progress(tm)! If only the evils known as the Word Prayer Center, Focus on the Family, Cook Publishing and the Navigators were not on the north end of this capitolistic, Military hic town blocking to this day, all the glory that was the DNC.

On a side note. Please note that THE ONE!™ set foot on the home of the Broncos blessing them greatly. Denver is so progressive that our beloved Broncos redistributed thier grace and almost guarenteed trip to the Superbowl to the Cardnials who were most in need of a boost as they have to live under the tyranny brought on by Mcshame.

OH!!! I forgot (almost...) Colorado does have an abundance of resentful jackasses er RABBITS, I said jack rabbits, in all but the eastern plains and between Pueblo and Castle Rock.

Well, Kiko. I recall when this Texan with his then best friend drove a Jeep to Colorado and pulled a trailer full of furniture. It had snowed. There was grumbling about Texans, Texans, Texans, not knowing how to drive, go home. They'd had a good snow year.

Guess who got to pull Coloradans, in 4WD vehicles, out of their snow?

Okay, comrades, back to the subject at hand; focus, grasshopper, focus (and take that martini out of your ear!)

"Vanity working on a weak mind produces all sorts of mischief"
- Hillary Clinton

"A man who will keep his head and not get rattled under fire, like as not, he'll kill ya. It ain't so easy to shoot a man anyhow, especially if the son-of-a-bitch is shootin' back at you. "
- Little Bill Daggett

"Kefir is a cultured, enzyme-rich food filled with friendly micro-organisms that help balance your "inner ecosystem."
- Kefir.net (that one is for you, Sheik Abu, I choose you!)

"The law attracts people who enjoy making mischief." Robertson Davies

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them."
~Eric Hoffer

"The old Inquisitors tortured to put their own opinions into somebody. But the new Inquisitors torture to get their own opinions out of him."
~G.K. Chesterton

"Show me your fair card."
~Anonymous

"Papers Please"
-Nazi Border Guard

"Papers Please.............and cardboard and plastic bottles too"
-Modern Environmentalist

"You can not reason someone out of thinking something they were never reasoned into in the first place." ~ Rush Limbaugh (Everyone's right sometime)

"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office."
-Aesop-

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act".
-George Orwell-

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty."
-John Adams-

"Politics: the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies."
-Groucho Marx-

"Democracy means that anyone can grow up to be President, and anyone who doesn't grow up can be Vice President."
-Johnny Carson-

And from a very wise man of the People:

"Sell a man a fish; he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish; you ruin a good business opportunity!"
-Karl Marx-

Kennedy family proverbs:

"cars can be submarines, sometimes!"

Ted Kennedy

"you know!"

Caroline Kennedy

"happy hour can sometimes last a day, week, or month!"

Patrick Kennedy

"When I was a boy I heard that any man can become President. Now I believe it."
--Clarence Darrow

Commissar Theocritus wrote: I Coming back from Grand Junction over the switchbacks into Albuquerque, NM...
\

Ahh Grand Junction, what a glorious town in the friggin' middle of nowhere! I am all to familiar with it, and the nearby town of Palisade, having spent nearly a year in the two towns. I do not think there is enough Chope there though.

More OOC (sorry)
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking!"
-General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who lack the courage will always find a philosophy to justify it."
-Albert Camus

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
-Ronald Reagan

7.62, have you been to the Cherry Creek part of Denver lately? Rather nice. I recommend the J. W. Marriott hotel there. Lovely view, good restaurants in walking distance, some very good shops--Pismo has splendid blown glass--and unlike most 90s Marriott properties it's not done in dirty blue and dirty red. To cover stains.

"Even monkeys sometimes fall from trees."
~Japanese proverb

"Rich people do not fight."
~Japanese saying (it can be Westernized by adding, "unless they're progressive.")

"Do nothing which is of no use."
~Miyamoto Musashi

"The government of my country snubs honest simplicity, but fondles artistic villainy, and I think I might have developed into a very capable pickpocket if I had remained in the public service a year or two."
~Mark Twain

Dahlinks, I have uncovered a few more ...

"Do as I say, not as I do!" - Poster for the IRS featuring Tom Daschle, Nancy Killefer, Hilda Solis & Tim Geithner

"Bipartisanship = Agree with Democrats" - Democratic Party

"We are pro-life! Why do you think we want to give our poverty stricken constituents more money for more children?" - All Democrat politicians

"When George W. Bush mispronounces a word, he is called the dumbest president in the past 50 years and it is printed as fact in news publications. When Nancy Pelosi makes a HUGE error saying that 500 million jobs will be lost each month the stimulus package is not passed, she is conveniently swept under the rug." - Major News Media Outlets on How to Spread Party Propaganda Diguised as Fact for the Common Good.

"No matter where you go, there you are..." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

"When, on 9/11/2001, the Secret Service puts George W. Bush on Air Force One and takes him to a fortified military base in the midwest set up for command, he's called a coward. When Teddy Kennedy sleep off a drunk while a girl suffocates in a car he was driving, he's called the lion of the Senate."

Getting photographed smoking pot.....$17.27 (includes rolling papers)

Erasing four years of your life at Columbia University.....$3,794,209

Sweeping under the carpet every filthy person you know.....$Untold Millions$

Getting elected President of the United States of America.....Priceless*

*All prices estimated and based on supposition only. No proof exists to substantiate these claims and any attempts to do so will result in a vigorous and painful audit of one's life and finances. This threat does not apply to members of Progressive Congress, individuals vetted for appointed office, or small puppies named "Wilbur".

Innostranyi Otdel wrote:"No matter where you go, there you are..." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

How nostalgic!

Commissar Theocritus wrote:Well, Kiko. I recall when this Texan with his then best friend drove a Jeep to Colorado and pulled a trailer full of furniture. It had snowed. There was grumbling about Texans, Texans, Texans, not knowing how to drive, go home. They'd had a good snow year.

Theo, my guess is those Coloradans were Californication transplants.

That's one redeeming value of the Rust Belt: no Left Coast progressives stay. They might come for a university education, but then they leave: taxes too low, people too friendly, towns too small to have bums homeless or want need community organizers, churches that are used, guns, people who say "y'all" or "Warshington," American flags hung from private residences--all that kind of reactionary ugliness.

Comrade_Tovarich wrote:
Innostranyi Otdel wrote:"No matter where you go, there you are..." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

How nostalgic!

I loved this movie. It was just the right combination of quirkiness and adventure during an era of very predictable and canned movies. Some choice lines out of that flick:

Yoyodyne; the future begins tomorrow!

or

"Break the window."
"why me, John Bigbute?"
"It might be boobytrapped."
"Oh" (and then he breaks the window)

or

"You forgot your thruster, Buckaroo!"
"Why don't you hang on to it."

or

"Why is that watermelon there?"
"I'll tell you later" (and he never does)

or

"Where are we going?"
"Planet 9"
"When?"
"Real Soon!"

John Lithgow was priceless in this flick; "Laugh while you can, monkeyboy"

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/d682xV0n1YY&h ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

and Ellen Barkin (whoohoo) and Peter Weller (who dropped off the map) and Jeff Goldblum and many others

Peter Weller hosts <i>Engineering an Empire</i>, on I think the History Channel. It's worth watching. How the Romans engineered, and so forth.

"History is made at night. Character is what you are in the dark." ~ Lord John Wharfon

Posturing keeps getting me reelected--Nancy Pelosi

Commissar Theocritus wrote:7.62, have you been to the Cherry Creek part of Denver lately? Rather nice. I recommend the J. W. Marriott hotel there. Lovely view, good restaurants in walking distance, some very good shops--Pismo has splendid blown glass--and unlike most 90s Marriott properties it's not done in dirty blue and dirty red. To cover stains.

Commissar, I was in Colorado about 8 years ago. I currently reside in the State of Washington Obama in the Olympia Collective. I never did get to Denver when I was in Colorado though sadly enough.

Commissar Theocritus wrote:Peter Weller hosts <i>Engineering an Empire</i>, on I think the History Channel. It's worth watching. How the Romans engineered, and so forth.

Peter Weller is living at the edge of the world, because he's now a history professor at Syracuse University. Nice gig to go along with the History Channel show, eh?

A nice gig, although I wish he, as a presenter, weren't quite so <i>stagey</i> but then actor would be, wouldn't he? I think that in one episode he drags in an architecture professor and I didn't find that in his bio. But that was in an unreliable source.

"What have you given us?"

"A Republic, if you can keep it!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

"Hey, I inherited this mess!" ~ Obama

Commissar Theocritus wrote:Well, Kiko. I recall when this Texan with his then best friend drove a Jeep to Colorado and pulled a trailer full of furniture. It had snowed. There was grumbling about Texans, Texans, Texans, not knowing how to drive, go home. They'd had a good snow year.

As a Texan you are blind to the fact that Texans cant drive in Colorado and are responsible for all our road troubles. (even pot holes) Y'all with the un-natural ability to drive more than 45mph, merge, yield, signal, and go around the block when you realize your missing your turn. Never understood the anti Texas movement...Y'all drive like you've been here all your lives shortly after the welcome to Colorful Colorado sign...

"Labor unions are not part of the problem, labor unions are part of the solution." Obama, 2009... or was it Peron in the forties?

[ off ]That was 25 years ago; I spent some days in Denver this summer and had a splendid time. Cherry Creek was delightful; the J. W. Marriott Hotel very fine, and the dining and shopping good. If it just weren't 700 miles away I'd take a half week there several times a year.

AbecedariusRex wrote:Peter Weller (who dropped off the map)

Comrade AbecedariusRex,

Information on Peter Weller has sprung forth from the collective, but we must not forget his performance in Robocop, one of the best reactionary movies around. Yet he also played a key role in Billy S. Burroughs' Naked Lunch, a crappy book by a spoiled privileged wanker and an equally crappy (if creepy) film.

Wikipedia suggests Mr. Weller is a cigar afficionado.

If he's an academic as well, I'd be curious to attend his class. Who couldn't learn a thing or two from Buckaroo Banzai or Robocop? Could you imagine arriving late to his class or getting caught sleeping in class: "Your move, creep."

Perhaps others can say more accurately than I, but a gay relative once told me Robocop had a very queeny walk, body armor considered.

That's what I thought. Although it could be just stagey. He's stagey introducing History Channel documentaries.

Nah, that's just Weller. He walks like that in Buckaroo Banzai and in Naked Lunch. Probably the addition of several pounds of plastic prosthesis didn't help, though.

My favorite scene in Robocop - Robo blasting away a warehouse full of baddies. The scenes that stick in my young impressionable never seen a violent movie before mind? The security droid malfunctioning and blowing the executive out of the window. The assassin telling the "bitches" to leave and putting the grenade in the guy's mouth. The mutated HiIfellIntoaVATofToxicGOO bad guy getting turned into pea soup by the racing automobile. - good flick!

AbecedariusRex wrote:Nah, that's just Weller. He walks like that in Buckaroo Banzai and in Naked Lunch. Probably the addition of several pounds of plastic prosthesis didn't help, though.

My favorite scene in Robocop - Robo blasting away a warehouse full of baddies. The scenes that stick in my young impressionable never seen a violent movie before mind? The security droid malfunctioning and blowing the executive out of the window. The assassin telling the "bitches" to leave and putting the grenade in the guy's mouth. The mutated HiIfellIntoaVATofToxicGOO bad guy getting turned into pea soup by the racing automobile. - good flick!

It's been a while since I saw it, but were there any bad scenes in Robocop?

"What are you, a college boy? [to kid reading thermodynamics textbook or some such] Think you can outsmart a bullet?"

Oh, there's an update at Amazon to the "I'd buy that for a dollar!":

AbecedariusRex wrote:Nah, that's just Weller. He walks like that in Buckaroo Banzai and in Naked Lunch. Probably the addition of several pounds of plastic prosthesis didn't help, though.

My favorite scene in Robocop - Robo blasting away a warehouse full of baddies. The scenes that stick in my young impressionable never seen a violent movie before mind? The security droid malfunctioning and blowing the executive out of the window. The assassin telling the "bitches" to leave and putting the grenade in the guy's mouth. The mutated HiIfellIntoaVATofToxicGOO bad guy getting turned into pea soup by the racing automobile. - good flick![/quote]

An interesting continuity error in the capitalist pig executive being executed by the properly functioning security (or the people) droid is the bullets exiting his back do not then strike the window behind him, even when the view is from outside said window.

[OOC]The assassin & lead henchman "Look at my face, Dick. He was trying to kill me." later went on to play Red Forman in "That 70's Show".

I saw it all again on HULU the other night.

I love the 6000SUX and when the black dude gets one and the main baddie blows it up with that tank buster! Priceless. My favorite line, though, "Dick, you're fired!" Robo: "thank you" blam blam blam blam blam blam blam!

Of course Verhoeven went on to direct some pretty lousy cinema afterwards, but hey, you get one perfect shot and the rest can be garbage, right?

If memory serves there were 3 garbage sequels,

One garbage tv series
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/U00p0LNZOpw&h ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

One garbage animated series
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/tNaT0WDPNQY&h ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and at least Two garbage video games

FPS
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/JqIapB1l95s&h ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and Platform

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/zSKZBxzCNjw&h ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Of course Verhoeven went on to direct some pretty lousy cinema afterwards,

If I ever run into him, he gets a full set of lumps for what he did to "Starship Troopers." With interest. He turned a pretty neat coming-of-age story about a filipino kid into "Doogie Hauser and the Space Nazis."

I denounce you Mr. Brain in a Jar!

"Starship Troopers" was a great (unintentional?) comedy! Hilarious "acting" and completely over-the-top story-telling.

It may have done no service to the book, but sometimes these things stand on their own "merits".

Easily one of my favorite movies, the popcorn CAN'T stay in my mouth, I'm laughing so hard!